Thursday, August 18, 2011

Baby Crow Rescue

Walking my dog at an unusual time, I noticed two small boys busy at the side of a large gutter on the opposite side of the road. They were lifting heavy stones from some construction debris, staggering to the side of the gutter and dropping them in after careful positioning. I thought they might have spotted a large frog and were trying to target and kill it. As I quickly crossed the road, they dropped their stones and ran for dear life. When I looked inside the gutter, I was aghast to see a baby crow cowering inside.

The problem was how to get it out. I rushed home and returned with a basket with a rope attached to the handle. As soon as I lowered it, the crow just jumped in and sat tight while I pulled it out of the drain.

Got him home, then wondered what to do. A basket or box is very confining for these types. The tail feathers get broken and destroyed, so I thought of the clothes stand.
It worked! He was quite happy to perch, hop about, except his food and try a little flying around the room after a few days. Fortunately, he had not suffered any damage from the "attack".

What makes children target a helpless creature like this? Wish I could have reached the boys, I would have spoken to them and tried to persuade them to help all of us help animals instead of trying to hurt and kill them. Don't blame them. They have to try and live in this cruel city themselves, poor little things. They are just lashing out at the next helpless creature and they had spotted this little crow. Just by luck, I spotted them.






No comments:

Post a Comment